Translate

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving with One of My Favorite things - Nilla Banana Pudding

Happy Thanksgiving

with

Nilla Banana Pudding

One of my favorite things for sure...



As a child I grew up eating homemade banana pudding.  It was a recipe handed down from my grandmother to my mother and then to me!!!  The recipe was eventually placed on Nabiscos Nilla Wafers boxes.  I am not sure if my grandmother's recipe was exactly the same but I can tell you that they taste the same.  This is a delicious dessert and one I make every year.  I wanted to share it in time for Thanksgiving.  If you have never tried it, I think you will love it.


In years past I have made them for our family members.  My father-in-law, mother-in-law, my neighbor and one for us.


Here is a link to the recipe by Nabisco.


To make it easy I will post the recipe here as well.

Nilla Wafer Banana Pudding

Ingredients

3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup flour
dash salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
45 NILLA Wafers, divided
5 bananas, sliced

Instructions

HEAT  oven to 350°F.

MIX  1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10 to 12 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

RESERVE  12 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard onto bottom of 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover with layers of 1/3 each of the remaining wafers, bananas and remaining custard. Repeat layers 2 times.

BEAT  egg whites on high speed of mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over custard, sealing well to edge of dish.
BAKE  15 to 20 min. or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Top with reserved wafers just before serving.

What special dessert will you be making this year? 

Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours. 
Beverly

Tea Cottage Pretties

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beverly, Happy Thanksgiving! My mom used to make the same dessert for our family when I little! Thanks for this wonderful recipe. Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I do love this recipe and making it every year brings back some wonderful memories for me. I have found that everyone that tries it loves it. My husband family is hooked on it now. When we were home I would have to make many of them for them everyone. So lots of great memories for sure. Hugs, Beverly

      Delete
  2. Such a scrumptious classic! I really like how, even as a layered dessert, this is somewhat lighter than a lot of holiday sweet fair. It helps to balance the richness of a heavy meal, like Thanksgiving dinner, so nicely.

    Big hugs & joyful Thanksgiving wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ever so kindly for visiting Tea Cottage Pretties.
We hope that you enjoyed your visit and come back soon.
Have a beautiful day

LinkWithin

You might also like: